This is my absolute favorite recipe for chocolate chip cookies. I discovered it earlier this year when I was experimenting with the Paleo Diet. You can find the original recipe here, on the Detoxinista blog. All credit for the recipe goes to The Detoxinista!
These cookies are vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and require only 7 basic ingredients. They have been a lifesaver for me whenever I attend an event where we’re expected to bring food. I have literally whipped up a batch an hour before leaving the apartment, and people have always asked for the recipe.
Here is how I make them (I pretty much follow the original recipe linked above exactly). I found most of the ingredients from Trader Joe’s. I like to always have them on hand just in case!
- 2 cups Almond Meal or Almond Flour
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt (or any salt you have)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 tbsp 100% Pure Maple Syrup (real maple syrup, not that Aunt Jemima processed crap)
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ~ 1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (or any type of chocolate chips you like)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together (almond meal, salt, and baking soda).
- Next, mix in the wet ingredients (maple syrup, vanilla, and coconut oil). NOTE: Mix the coconut oil in slowly. Sometimes I find that the full 1/4 cup can be too oily. On the flip side, if the mixture feels dry after you’ve added all the oil, add a little more until it feels moist and dough-like.
- Mix in the chocolate chips! The recipe calls for 1/2 cup, but I usually just add however many I feel like. You can’t go wrong!
- Drop small amounts of the dough onto cookie sheet. I can usually get about 18 bite-sized cookies out of one batch. You may have more or less than that, depending on how large you make your cookies.
- Bake for about 6-8 minutes, or until slightly golden brown on the edges and underneath.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool (or eat right away if you like your cookies hot out of the oven).
That’s it. So simple, so quick, and so delicious. Plus while they’re not exactly a health food, they are healthier than standard chocolate chip cookies. Enjoy!
Recipe with pictures
If you like pictures, here’s a visual version of the recipe.
1. Gather all your ingredients – Baking soda, almond meal, chocolate chips, pure maple syrup, sea salt, vanilla extract, and coconut oil.
2. Preheat oven to 35oF.
3. Measure dry ingredients. 2 cups almond flour; 1/2 tsp baking soda; 1/4 tsp sea salt.
4. Measure wet ingredients. 3 tbsp pure maple syrup; 1/4 cup melted coconut oil; 2 tsp vanilla extract.
5. Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
6. Mix in the wet ingredients. Add the coconut oil slowly to prevent from becoming too oily.
7. Mix in the chocolate chips! 1/2 cup; or any amount you want.
8. Drop bite-sized amounts of dough onto cookie sheet.
9. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until lightly brown on the edges.
10. Eat & enjoy!